If you own your own home, you know how crucial the roof is to the integrity of the structure. Given the importance of the roof, finding the right roofing company when work needs to be done is essential. Not everyone knows where they should go when they need work done on their roof. Here are some things you can do to make sure you hire the right one.
- Talk to people you know. The first place you should start when you want to hire a good roofing company is the people you know who live near you. The best way to get any products or services is to get a reference from someone you know and trust. Whether you are hiring roof repair contractors or lawyers, this is a great way to narrow down your list of companies to look into.
- Look online. When you do an internet search, add your location. If you are in Bay City, Michigan, you will get a better idea of your options if you do a search for “roofing companies in Michigan” rather than just “roofing companies.” If you do a search for “roofing contractors Bay City MI” your search results will be narrowed down to that city.
- Check out the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. There are a number of contractors who travel to areas that were hit by bad weather and offer a bunch of deals that look too good to be true. As the adage goes, if something seems too good to be true, the chances are good that they are. These contractors are often scam artists. Before you hire a roofing company, find out what the BBB has to say about them.
- Make sure the company has the right insurance and licenses. Unfortunately, it is very easy for roofing contractors, or any contractors, to make it look like they have the right amount of insurance and licenses. You need to ask the companies with whom you speak but you should also check on what they tell you. If they do not have the right amount of insurance, it can cost you a lot later on. If someone is injured working on your home, you will be responsible if they do not have the right workers’ compensation insurance, you will be on the hook for that money. Ask about safety training and equipment. Working on a roof can be very dangerous. You should only consider companies that take keeping their workers safe as seriously as you do.
- Talk to a few companies. It can be easy to want to hire the first roofing company you talk to but that is not a good plan. You should talk to and get estimates from at least three different companies. Make them put their estimates in writing and make them spell out everything. That will make it easier for you to compare and contrast the quotes, give you an idea of what your options are, and help you if they try to change the amount they charge you later on.
- Make sure your deductible is paid before work is started. Some roofing companies tell homeowners that the work can be done without this. What is wrong with that? If you are having repairs done on your home because of damage done by a storm and you do not pay your deductible, that is insurance fraud. Your roofing company cannot handle your insurance claim. If they say they can, they are lying. You should never work with a company that makes such a claim.
- Research your material options. When you are having your roof repaired or replaced, the company should give you some different options in terms of the material they use. You can lower your utility bills by about 30% just by getting the right material. You have a lot of options and any roofing contractor that fails to let you know what they are is not one that you should hire to work on your home.
The roof on your home is too important to the structure to let anyone work on it. The good news is that if you do your research, you can find someone in your area to do the job.